Thursday, December 19, 2013

Baked apples "Frosted Muffin"

You know when you are a child, and you watch those cartoons, and they have a beautiful
dinner table, full of delicious dishes? And always (ALWAYS!) there's a whole pork with an apple in it's mouth! Seriously, seems that every pork needed an apple in it's mouth. Even in one episode of The Simpson's, they had a pork-style roasted Flanders, and he had an apple in his mouth!I don't need to say it was one of the Tree House of Horror, right? (You guys will notice along the way, I'm addicted to Simpson's!)

So, when I was younger, I didn't knew why was that. So I grew up, and still didn't knew why was that... Until I had my first pork leg with apple sauce. WHAT A REVELATION!! It just goes along with the flavor so much!! I want to eat just the meat and the sauce, and nothing more!







They complement each other. It's just beautiful!Last saturday We had the Honey-mustard Pork Loin, and I wanted apples to go along with it, sure. But I didn't wanted just apple sauce. I wanted more. I wanted different, mixed flavors and textures. I wanted a side dish, not just a sauce. So I though long and hard about it. What could I mix? How could I do this... So I decides to try this Baked apples "Frosted" "Cupcakes"!




Baked apples "Frosted" "Muffin"

Materials


  • 2 apples
  • 1 1/2 water
  • 2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 200g Ricotta cheese
  • 150g blue cheese
  • 4 teaspoons of pepper jam


Methods


  • Pre heat the oven at 180ÂșC.
  • Cut apples in half and hollow the center. Be careful not to cut trough it.
  • Mix the sugar in the water until everything dissolved. 
  • Bathe the apples in the sugar water mix. Force them to saty under water for a while, so they can soak up some of the water. Place them in a lined baking pan and bake until 

  • brown and tender. But not so much. They might go back in the oven again.
  • While it bake, beat well the ricotta. After it's creamy, crumble the blue cheese inside the ricotta and mix. You're looking for a creamy ricotta with little chunks of blue cheese. 
  • Remove the apples from the oven and let them cool down a bit. 
  • Place one teaspoon of pepper jam in the hollow of the apple. 
  • You can put 1 1/2 tablespoon of the cheese "frosting" on top of the apple. Or you can 
  • decorate with a frosting bag. If you want to serve hot, after the frosting, put the apples back in the over for baking a little more. But not much, or the decoration don't survive (mine didn't ): )


Experimental observation:

You can also, remove it from the oven and frost right before serving. Withou having to put it back in the oven. But in this case, you have to bake the apple a bit more on the first time in the oven.

Don't bake them too much, or they won't handle the weigth of the cheese, mine were almost too baked.

I was afraid the apples were going to get too dry, so every now and then, I removed them from the oven and bathed them again in the sugared water.

They taste Awesome! You have the creaminess of the frosting, the salty of blue cheese, the sweet of sugar baked apples and in the middle.. Bam! Spicy pepper jam!



I served mine in a little pot, apart of the food, It had too much mixed flavors, and
might mix too much with the food. So it was actually a SIDE-dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment